Star IconProgram of
- Jewish Education Center of Cleveland (JEC)
The Educational Capacity Building Department serves the needs of Cleveland’s Jewish educational programs, including congregational programs and early childhood centers.
Rabbi Stacy Schlein, Director of Educational Capacity Building
The Jewish Education Center’s Educational Capacity Building department provides additional support to strengthen and enrich our partner institutions throughout the community. The Jewish Education Center has a wide range of grants, consultation services, professional development, curricular resources, materials, and more to enrich our partner institutions.
By combining the services of the Retreat Institute, the Teacher Center, Early Childhood and Congregations under one umbrella, the Jewish Education Center can provide holistic support. In 2022-2023, the Jewish Education Center will host its biennial Erev Iyun – Evening of study around Social Emotional and Spiritual Learning. Educators from synagogues across the community will learn together and strengthen their skills in educating and inspiring our students.
Area educators have opportunities to attend conferences, work with coaches and take courses. In addition, the Jewish Education Center’s online marketplace has invaluable resources for teachers and directors. Explore curricular units that can stand alone or enhance your curriculum. All materials are available for free download from www.JECCmarketplace.com.
The Jewish Education Center’s focus on early childhood demonstrates a commitment to young children and their families, fostering long-lasting engagement in Jewish life and community. This work is accomplished through intentional collaboration and support of high-quality early childhood experiences provided by local Jewish early childhood centers and programming.
The Jewish Education Center provides a number of supports to teachers at affiliate early childhood programs, including:
- Professional development courses, consultations and one-on-one coaching
- Tuition assistance for teachers seeking a college degree
- Support for community-wide professional learning
- Strengthening Jewish content and experiences through Fingerprints: Discovering Jewish Life, a
child-centered Jewishly-focused curriculum, and Hebrew through Movement, a learning
approach for teaching Hebrew
Are you working with families with young Jewish children? The Jewish Education Center offers:
- Shoresh grants for creative family engagement programs
- Families Together, an initiative that supports small family-cohorts
- Collaboration between local organizations working with families with young Jewish children
- JKIDS, a Facebook page and Instagram acccount with up-to-date information on local family events
- Kesher Newsletters, providing family-friendly holiday information, available on www.jecc.org
For information on programs/events for families with children ages birth-5, follow us on Facebook: JKids Young Kids in Cleveland and on Instagram @JKidsCLE.