Cleveland's first Jewish cemetery was established in 1840 by the Israelite Society at the corner of Willet Street now knows as Fulton Rd. and Siam. This near west side neighborhood is known as Ohio City.
Jeff Morris, Superintendent
The Israelitic Sociey became Congregation Anshe Chesed (today known as Fairmount Temple). In 1854 the Temple Tifereth Israel acquired 1/2 acre lot next to the cemetery. In 1890 the fence between the two cemeteries was removed, as both congregations formed the United Jewish Cemetery Association to oversee the management of this cemetery and its newly developing Mayfield Road Cemetery.
The southwest corner of the cemetery includes burials from the Jewish Orphanage. Today known as Bellefaire.
The burial ground is now jointly administered by:
- Fairmount Temple
- The Temple-Tifereth Israel
The gate is locked. Visits can be scheduled by calling the number listed.