Lincoln Cemetery is comprised of 3 sections including: Workmen's Circle, Independent Mizreich Aid and Warrensville Cemetery.
Details are sketchy, but previous caretakers claim the cemetery was called Lincoln because that was the name of the street, before it became West 54th Street; and the cemetery was founded in December 1920. At that time, Lincoln Road was unpaved and on rainy days it was impassable for horses bearing a hearse. men had to carry the caskets down State Road to Lincoln Road and into the cemetery. Even in 1987 mention was made to drawbacks to burials – being there was no road connecting Theota Avenue to the cemetery entrance 1,000 yards away. The cemetery expanded since then.
Excerpted from Cemeteries of Northeast Ohio by Vicki Blum Vigil.
Workmen’s Circle Cemetery Section
Independent Mizreich Aid Cemetery Section
Warrensville Cemetery Section
Oheb Zedek Cedar Sinai Synagogue