Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery (AKA Ridge Rd. 1)
Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery, which means "a kindness of truth", was founded in 1902 as a cemetery for indigent Jews on the west side of Cleveland. It was believed that the Jewish population would actually spread west and land at that time was relatively inexpensive in this area.
Brett Cochran, Cemetery Operations Manager
Click to view a map of Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery
Chesed Shel Emeth for most of its tenure did not have any synagogue affiliation as most cemeteries do. Affiliated at this time with Chesed Shel Emeth are Menorah Park, the orthodox community, as well as a number of burials from members of the Russian community.
For many years, Chesed Shel Emeth had been neglected and vandalized and the cemetery upkeep was a topic in the community and thus the Commission on Cemetery Preservation, made up of lay leaders from the community, was established by the Jewish Federation of Cleveland. The Jewish Federation took control of this cemetery in the early 90’s. A fundraising campaign was established to take care of capital needs and the cemetery is now in very good condition.